Friday, June 6, 2008

How it all started






Besides the mandatory hand prints in preschool, I had never used paint before a couple years ago. I am an Art History major and have taught myself to paint not by practice, but by viewing the teqnuiques of the masters being drilled into my head after mindlessly starring at slides for several hours a day. I have done a few small John Constable paintings and one Renior but they had been damaged while moving so they are now in a trash heap somewhere.

Above: My painting of "Pysche and Cupid" by Rococo artist Fragonard, I love his art and plan to do a lot more large scale reproductions of his work.








playing with light and shadow. I love how the lamp turned out.




Above: "The Lady of Paso Nogal" a recent painting of mine. This is a portrait of my first dog, Sadie who has been gone for several years now, it was a mothers day gift for my mom who has yet to get over her. She walked Sadie at the Paso Noagal dog park almost daily for 11 years. I got the idea of dog in costume by Thierry Poncelet. He had a book called "Sit! Ancesrtral Dog Portraits" that include all of his works. I would highly recomend you go and check it out, I just love it.


Above: just a random charcol sketch of mine



I usualy paint in a more traditional style but I painted this for a friends living room and wanted to do something bold with orange to pop on the green walls. Low quality photograph of the picture but the canvas is 4'x4' so it is very large and a lot of th detail is lost in this fuzzy photo. My friend had an obsession with "the dark tower" series by Stephen King so the urban cowboy thing was my inspiration for this.





the other "dark tower" inspired painting that I made for his hallway. This is the first time I attempted extremely loose brush strokes and it was difficult to stop myself from adding detail
pencil drawing used for my friends band's CD cover.


No comments: